Sunday, April 19, 2009

Thank You

I have been home from the hospital for a couple of days and there have been a lot of things to do. Krista and I have been very occupied with final exams; Krista finished her's on Saturday (LUCKY!!!) I still have two that I will be studying for and taking on Monday and Tuesday this coming week.

Today I talked to my mom on the phone and found out that she has been keeping many family and friends updated with what has been happening with me, especially with the events of the last few days. Also after talking to my mom, I feel a strong desire to iterate my thoughts and experiences to you so that you can feel how thankful I am for your sacrifices, your love, and your support for me.

First, I thought I would take a moment to tell you a little bit about what happened last week. On Tuesday afternoon I began having severe abdominal pain that at first I thought was only a reaction to something I ate. I realized that my problem was probably a little bit more serious than I originally assumed when I noticed growing amounts of blood in my stool. That was a little bit disconcerting but after I talked to one of the trainers on the football team, I thought that I would be OK without going to the hospital; however, as the day went on, those symptoms continued to worsen. Finally at about 12:30 that night Krista and I went to the ER.

After two visits to the ER, a night in the hospital, and a colonoscopy (and the worst part about that was drinking a gallon of some sort of laxative to clear out my intestine! I don't recommend it), the doctors are now relatively certain that I have Crohn's disease. I guess I can't say that with complete confidence since I haven't gotten the results from the biopsy yet.

But as this new challenge arises in the lives of my family and me, an even stronger force of love has been poured out to us in the form of angels.

Mormon taught that "God knowing all things, being from everlasting to everlasting, behold, he sent angels to minister unto the children of men, to make manifest concerning the coming of Christ; and in Christ there should come every good thing." It has been my experience in the past, and certainly in this instance, that angels are sent by Heavenly Father to help his children to find joy in this life. The Lord's angels are both sent from his presence, as well as from among us. Later in the same chapter, Mormon teaches that "it is by faith that miracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men." I believe that the faith that Mormon is talking about does not just come from the person needing the miracle, but also from the angels themselves, as those angels are often fellow people who live with us on earth: Family members, friends, and anyone who exercises his faith to help another.

Because of many ministering angels, the most prevalent feeling that I have had for the last few days is gratitude. I want you to know how much you have helped me and how much I appreciate your kindness. Such selflessness and lenity does not go unnoticed. I know that your love, kind words, prayers, and fasts have helped buoyed my heart and cheer my soul. I also know how grateful my parents and family are for your support.

Thank you for your love.

2 comments:

Smith Group said...

Love your blog Guys!!! Thanks for having your mom forward. You're welcome to checkout our blog onaqwest.blogspot.com and we will be keepign you in our prayers Nick.
Linda and Dewayne

Cami said...

Nick, I am sorry to hear about your possible diagnosis of Crohn's disease, as that can be a terribly serious condition. I hope you get any treatments and good doctors that you need and that you can be healthy and happy with Krista! :)